Skip to main content

613.55 Miles Later

What an amazing year of running! There was ups and downs. There were challenges and setbacks but I did not give up. My official races included 2-5ks, 1-10k, 1-12k, 1-15k, 4-Half Marathons, and an obstacle race. Each race presented it's own challenges and successes. Below is a snapshot of the how the year was broken down:
No training but this year started off with a bang. My family and I ran the Springhill Mania. Two of the girls ran the 5k and my husband and I ran the half marathon. Always a great time when we are all out there moving at our pace and celebrating our personal wins together. A family that runs together! #Family


There is a fun, flat race that happens every February in Tallahassee. It is the Flash 12k. 7.5 miles done and it felt good because I was not out on the course alone. My husband and two of my daughters were
right there with me. #RepeatOffender


As you see from my January and February mileage, I did not do a lot running. It as time to get on the ball. That's when my husband challenged me to run one (1) mile per day. Rain or shine, I did just that. Some days were more than a mile and as you can see, I only missed one day. Yay me! #Consistency

This year was also my year of relationship. Lucky for me, I have a mini me who loves obstacle races. She and I had a good trip to Panama City, Florida where we completed the Warrior Dash 5k. 3.1 mile with 15+ obstacles was so much fun.

After spending more than 10 years in Tallahassee, we finally participated in the Springtime Tallahassee 10k. There were more hills than I anticipated but I am so glad we got out there and got it done. This race is the one that showed me I needed to start training in order to be ready for the Fall race season. #EyeOpener

Then there was the fastest 5k in Tallahassee. It was time for the annual Palace Saloon race. It was not my fastest 5k but I got it done

My new position at JALA afforded me the opportunity to travel to San Diego for the first time ever. The best part for me was that the hotel was right on the water. There was no way I could pass up any opportunity to run near the water. It is my absolute favorite way to enjoy a run. Two mornings of pure bliss. #Winning

One of the greatest benefits of me working in Jacksonville is getting connected to the local Black Girls Run Group. For the first time since I joined the BGR family several years ago, I participated in the BGR Run for your Sole 5k. Meeting the CEO of the organization was the icing on the cake. She was personable, approachable, and down to earth.
What good is running if there is no purpose behind it? I run for my mental, emotional, spiritual, and physical stability. But sometimes, I run for a cause. This month, I completed a Longest Day Run for Alzheimers. This is a disease that often takes our loved one away from us before we are ready. This run was my chance to make a difference. #Purpose

I was on the roll but then I stopped. It was time to bring in reinforcements. So, I signed up for a Nike Run Club training plan. That's when the speed work began. I was chasing speed and miles. My mileage increased and my average pace got faster. I was finally in my groove. #Speedy

Preparation time! As Fall races were quickly approaching, this was the month of consistency. I committed my weekends to long runs. Every single run felt good and I was able to increase my mileage each week. On at least two of the long runs, I mustered up the confidence to run in just a sports bra for the first time ever. #Growing

I truly celebrated my life this month with the dynamic duo. The Chicago Half was amazing and I ran my personal best time. Time alone with my husband in Chi-Town made the experience all the better. Less than one week later, I was at it again at the Indianapolis Women's Half Marathon. This time, the twins were running those streets with me. What a blast and guess what? Yep, I ran a little faster than earlier in the month so now I have a new personal best!




Wait....there's more. I had my first 100 mile month! I see people do it month after month but I was not sure I could do it. Welp, I did! So can you! And....I know that if I did it once, I can do it again! #Accomplished

I proved myself to be #ZoomaStrong! I ran my third consecutive Zooma Florida Half Marathon. This year was even better than the past. It was the inaugural seaside challenge. There was a 5k on the Friday evening before the morning of the Half Marathon. Since this was the year I learned about the importance of shake out runs, it was the perfect fit. I ran both races and scored three medals. Whoohoo!

I can't tell you about the good and not share the bad. I was on a morning run with less than a half of a mile remaining. Guess what happened? I ground came up and tripped me. Before I knew it, I was face down on the ground. I jumped up, stopped the clock and limped on. #BruisedButNotBroken

Gobble! Gobble! Over the years, a Thanksgiving Day run has been a part of my family's tradition. We now run for the turkey we get to eat.  What a way to start a wonderful day! Spending time with family and working up an appetite. This year, I pushed myself a little further. Instead of running the 5k or the 10k, as I have in the past, I opted for the 15k and I stuck with it. Yay for new challenges.  #Traditions

During the month of miracles and giving, I was blessed with the opportunity to blend my passion for running with my passion for serving others. My employer hosted a fundraiser to raise money so that families of children with health issues can receive free legal assistance for better family stability. In spite of fighting depression, I completed a few miles. During this month of tapering off, I only achieved 50% of my goal but I am ready for 2019. #Refocused

What did you accomplish in 2018? What will you shoot for in 2019?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose Over Pleasure

"I'm done!" Those were my thoughts multiple times during this weekend's half marathon. As I got further into the race, I told myself, I'm done! I am done with Zooma. I am done with long distance running. I am done with running race in temperatures above 70 degrees. I am DONE! At the start of the race, one of the first things I noticed was that the pacer's shirt read. Run Walk Run. I asked the pacer if that meant she would be doing intervals. Her response, " Yes, 2 minutes of running with 30 sec breaks at a 8:40 pace. " I was immediately intimidated but I figured I would give it a shot. I did not typically run intervals but these ladies had a tried and true method to get me to my goal time. So I tried it out. I was outside of my comfort zone but that is where growth starts, right?! I was running strong all the way through mile 9. Based on my mile time splits, I was inspired and moving right along the course. I was even smiling as I passed mile 5

Renewed Motivation

I love the start of a new month. It means that it is an opportunity for me to start over. It is a chance for me to set new goals. It is chance for me to reshape my plans. For May 2018, my running goal is 100k (yeah....that is 62.13 miles....I don't know the last time I ran that many miles in one month, so.....) Over the past few weeks, I have been thinking: "Why do I run?" ; "What is my goal?" ; "What is my motivation?" These questions are very personal and will differ for everyone. For me.... I run because it keeps me mentally sound. Most importantly, my runs are times that I commit to listening to sermons and uplifting music. I spend that time getting lost in my connection to my heavenly father.  My current goal is to complete the three (3), YES THREE, half marathons that I am registered for later this year. You see, I make plans well in advance because they give me something to shoot for and forces me to eliminate excuses. My motiv

Who has a watch?

Guess who's back 👀 It's time to eliminate the excuses and get ready to move! My introduction to my running journey was a race. I immediately set a goal for the amount of time I wanted to complete the race in. That's when my tracking began.  That was five years ago. To date, it is very rare for me to go out on a run without some way to track the run. I track my mileage and my speed. Honestly, I'm somewhat obsessive about it. I need to know how many miles I'm running AND I need to know how fast (or slow) I'm running. I use that information to challenge myself to go further and go faster. I have become so reliant on the tracking systems that I don't take a run without a device. I almost did not run this morning because I could not track it.   🤷‍♀️   But guess what?! I ran anyway. And I'm so glad I did. Today's lesson : Being active is not the same as being competitive. You do not have the have fancy gadgets and applications in order to get ou