Skip to main content

Making It Count

We had the absolute BEST time on Saturday!

Maddison and I signed up for our first Mother-Daughter race. It was a 5K. We both just ran a 5k two weeks ago so I knew we were good to go. In spite of living here for the past ten years, neither of us had never run that particular race. We were in for a new adventure. But we weren't alone. We had each other.

I was so excited for our Mother-Daughter race that I wanted us to wear matching outfits. One of the best things about a race is being in a happy place. Fun outfits make me happy when I run. And, no, they don't have to be expensive. In some cases, there might not be any cost at all.

You'll notice that we are wearing the same shirt. It was a shirt we received while we volunteered for a Spartan race last year. Shirts that were just sitting in my drawer. Shirts that I was unlikely to wear again. So what did I do with them? I cut off the collar and the sleeves and made fringes on the bottom. FREE$$. The only thing the shirts cost me was about 20 minutes of my time as I sat in bed, watching  a movie, the night before the race.
We wore classic black bottoms. I gave her a pair of my capri tights. Yes, she can fit my clothes. No judgment zone, remember!! 😌

Since running in the sun can cause sweat to drip from the top down, I thought a hat or visor would be a good idea. Oliver and I both received sun visors when we ran the Hot Chocolate 15K earlier this year. What a great idea for Maddi and I to get use out of them now.

You see...when you dig into your creativity file, you may very well find simple items about the house that you can re-purpose and use to bring a smile or two to yourself and others while you're out on a run.

Find a way to make your run FUN! 

You can even find a way to make runs better for others. Logan is a competitive gymnast but she likes to race in One Mile Fun Runs from time to time. Well, Saturday was her time. Although she was not a part of the Mother-Daughter team, I made her a shirt just like ours. It just happened to be one of her many Spartan kids race shirts.
I think the outfits were so well done that it put some speed in their feet. Logan was the 8th overall finisher in the One Mile race and received a 2nd place medal since she was the second female to finish the race. Maddison and I did not receive a Mother-Daughter prize but Maddison did receive a 3rd place medal for her age group. Woot woot! It was all in the fringes. 😂

2nd Place Finisher
My Partner left me for a 3rd Place Finish

No matter how cute you look when you run, don't forget to HYDRATE!!!

Logan's race was a great race but it took the wind out of her.
She was dehydrated.

But I guess it's true what they say: the apple doesn't fall far from the tree.

Thursday was a Holiday so my office was closed. I decided to take advantage of my free time with a run. According to my Nike Run Club plan, I was scheduled for a seven mile run this week so I set it for Thursday. Boy, oh boy! That was my WORSE run EVER! I mean EVER! My slowest time. My slowest pace. I looked and felt like death. My husband rode past me when I was at mile six. This is what he said he I looked like:
I truly thought I was going to die. I rarely walk during a run but I just couldn't pull myself together. It wasn't until the end of the run that I realized I was dehydrated. I replayed my Wednesday and realized that I had not drank ANY water that day. I also didn't drink any water before my run on Thursday morning.



What was I thinking?
I wondered that same thing just a few nights before when I did my Benchmark run. I ran a didn't route and expected better results than received on my first Benchmark run. Sounds possible. Right? Maybe. In this case, it wasn't possible. My first Benchmark was a flat course around lake. This week's Benchmark was on a hilly road. Even though hills aren't impossible to beat, they often take a little more time to climb.
I ran uphill a little slower than I run on flat surfaces so the mileage on my second Benchmark was not as good as it was during the mileage on my first Benchmark. Thankfully, the mileage didn't matter as much as the completion of the run.

It doesn't mater how you get it done, JUST DO IT!!!

You still have time to join me for the Zooma Florida Half Marathon, 12k, or 5k. Click here to register TODAY. Use code Marquita2017 for a 10% discount. Will you join me?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose Over Pleasure

"I'm done!" Those were my thoughts multiple times during this weekend's half marathon. As I got further into the race, I told myself, I'm done! I am done with Zooma. I am done with long distance running. I am done with running race in temperatures above 70 degrees. I am DONE! At the start of the race, one of the first things I noticed was that the pacer's shirt read. Run Walk Run. I asked the pacer if that meant she would be doing intervals. Her response, " Yes, 2 minutes of running with 30 sec breaks at a 8:40 pace. " I was immediately intimidated but I figured I would give it a shot. I did not typically run intervals but these ladies had a tried and true method to get me to my goal time. So I tried it out. I was outside of my comfort zone but that is where growth starts, right?! I was running strong all the way through mile 9. Based on my mile time splits, I was inspired and moving right along the course. I was even smiling as I passed mile 5

Zooma Summer Challenge - Week 1

The week started off with a mid-distance run. I finished my run off with a 5 minute workout. It's such a short period of time and may sound wimpy, but let me tell you, it's pretty intense.  In fact, I don't even think I made it five whole minutes. The one thing that very much helped me this week was the start of my Zooma Summer Challenge. The Challenge is complete with meal planning tips, workouts, and motivation. The first exercise for the week was a 2 mile run. I had traveled to Miami on a 6am flight so I was not able to run in the morning and spent the day in meetings. I almost missed the day's workout but seeing all the Facebook posts encouraged me to get up and hit the treadmill...even at 10:30p. Make examples, not excuses. I knew that I could easily do 2 miles so I got up and got it done. No excuses! Running and Snapping pics can't be safe :/ The third exercise for the week was a track workout that included sprint intervals. Well, running

Getting The Mojo Back

On this past Saturday I had a chance to do my first Saturday endurance run with Black Girls Run Jacksonville. It was such as great experience. No woman was left alone and there were so many paces and levels of walkers and runners. The Ambassadors had so much energy that it was contagious. I had not run more than 40 minutes in a little over a month so I was nervous but it felt so good to be out there....with a group. I completed my 60-minute run and met my goal of 6 miles. Once the run was over, I was pumped. When I got home, I started looking at my Nike Run App and realized that I was only halfway to my goal of running 62.13 miles this month. Ut oh. I did some calculations and decided that I could meet my goal if I ran 3 miles per day for the next ten days. What's 30 minutes? It's nothing. We waste 30 minutes scrolling through Facebook.  The least I could do is to commit 30 minutes per day to ME.  (How much time to yo commit to yourself daily?) So the journey began.