Skip to main content

1st Attempt at a Training Plan

I looked at the calendar and realized that my race is next month. I will be running a half marathon in just 7 weeks away. WOW. That time has flown by. I feel like it was just yesterday that I was accepted as a Zooma Ambassador. I'm amazed at how quickly the time has passed.


  • Side note: You can join me and receive a 10% discount by going to zoomarun.com and signing up with code Marquita17.

I started a training plan with Nike Run Club. The app requires an eight week minimum training period. I didn't have that much time but I put in the minimum number of weeks and hit GO.

Since I started on a Sunday, I was already at the end of a week. My first workout was a two mile run. It was to be at a comfortable pace. But what defines a comfortable pace? I couldn't wrap my brain around it but I got out there and ran. This was my first run in over two weeks. Even though it was a short run, it got my wheels moving.


It doesn't always matter how you get there. Just have the courage and determination to start. After all, if you don't start, there's no opportunity to finish. I challenge you to get started. Start whenever you are. Walk. Wog. Jog. Run. Do intervals. Sprint. Whatever it takes, get it done. You owe it to yourself.

Once I got that first run in, I was ready for the first official week of my Nike Run Club training plan.

Benchmark Run
"Say what?! What can you figure out in just three minutes?" This was my reaction when Oliver first told me how the Nike Run Club Benchmark Run breaks down the 15 minutes. The benchmark starts with a seven minute warm-up, a three minute sprint, and a five minute cool down. That sounded pretty painful to someone who doesn't warm up before a run or cool down after a run. It definitely felt like a foreign concept but baby, let me tell you. I ran a pretty steady 7 minutes but when I had to increase my speed, not once - not twice - but three times, I could barely make it. The cool down was faster than my warm up but it was a struggle. Those three minutes felt so slow and almost took me out. I was dripping sweat when the 15 minutes was over. Lesson to self: don't underestimate anything you do!


Distance Run
The storm came at just the right now. Since schools and state offices were closed, I had an opportunity to get out in my long run on the scheduled date. I was able to run without restraint. Run without barriers. Run without a rush. My training app set itself to 5 miles. It felt so great to get in real miles after not running for a couple of weeks. I decided to run 2.5 miles out then turn-around. I ran until the pavement ended then re-routed back to my car. As I ran each mile, my average time per mile was decreasing. I knew I putting work in but I didn't feel an ounce of stress. By the end of the run, I had negative splits in my mile times. This run served as my reminder that every run is different. The running conditions are different. My body responds differently on each run. In other words, be patient with yourself and accept the run as it comes.

Recovery Run
I had to peel myself out of bed. The threat of Hurricane Irma taking over the city early afternoon made me get up and get out. As soon as I got to my starting point and got out the car, raindrops started falling. Light rain. No hat. No phone protection. Just me, my headphones, and my worship music. Sometimes, less is more. I had an opportunity to skip the run and stay out of the rain but I made the decision to stay the course. I was scheduled to run 2 easy paced miles. I did just that. I just jogged along in the rain. It was beautiful. Peaceful. I could have used the rain and circumstances as my excuse to skip the run but I made them my reasons instead. There are no excuses when it comes to accomplishing a goal.

This is my first attempt at a training plan. So far so good. Can't wait to see what the next week brings.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose Over Pleasure

"I'm done!" Those were my thoughts multiple times during this weekend's half marathon. As I got further into the race, I told myself, I'm done! I am done with Zooma. I am done with long distance running. I am done with running race in temperatures above 70 degrees. I am DONE! At the start of the race, one of the first things I noticed was that the pacer's shirt read. Run Walk Run. I asked the pacer if that meant she would be doing intervals. Her response, " Yes, 2 minutes of running with 30 sec breaks at a 8:40 pace. " I was immediately intimidated but I figured I would give it a shot. I did not typically run intervals but these ladies had a tried and true method to get me to my goal time. So I tried it out. I was outside of my comfort zone but that is where growth starts, right?! I was running strong all the way through mile 9. Based on my mile time splits, I was inspired and moving right along the course. I was even smiling as I passed mile 5

Zooma Summer Challenge - Week 1

The week started off with a mid-distance run. I finished my run off with a 5 minute workout. It's such a short period of time and may sound wimpy, but let me tell you, it's pretty intense.  In fact, I don't even think I made it five whole minutes. The one thing that very much helped me this week was the start of my Zooma Summer Challenge. The Challenge is complete with meal planning tips, workouts, and motivation. The first exercise for the week was a 2 mile run. I had traveled to Miami on a 6am flight so I was not able to run in the morning and spent the day in meetings. I almost missed the day's workout but seeing all the Facebook posts encouraged me to get up and hit the treadmill...even at 10:30p. Make examples, not excuses. I knew that I could easily do 2 miles so I got up and got it done. No excuses! Running and Snapping pics can't be safe :/ The third exercise for the week was a track workout that included sprint intervals. Well, running

Getting The Mojo Back

On this past Saturday I had a chance to do my first Saturday endurance run with Black Girls Run Jacksonville. It was such as great experience. No woman was left alone and there were so many paces and levels of walkers and runners. The Ambassadors had so much energy that it was contagious. I had not run more than 40 minutes in a little over a month so I was nervous but it felt so good to be out there....with a group. I completed my 60-minute run and met my goal of 6 miles. Once the run was over, I was pumped. When I got home, I started looking at my Nike Run App and realized that I was only halfway to my goal of running 62.13 miles this month. Ut oh. I did some calculations and decided that I could meet my goal if I ran 3 miles per day for the next ten days. What's 30 minutes? It's nothing. We waste 30 minutes scrolling through Facebook.  The least I could do is to commit 30 minutes per day to ME.  (How much time to yo commit to yourself daily?) So the journey began.