Skip to main content

On the Move in January

January is off to a great start! Yes, I know that 'great' is a relative term but it signifies what I believe to be true. My goal this year is just to remain active and healthy. Nothing more. I am not chasing any specific times. I am not chasing any specific distances. I simply plan to keep moving. I say this now, but please note that this can change, especially for me 🤷

I've learned over the years that we get so caught up in the things that others are doing and we push and push ourselves further and further. Now, I absolutely believe that pushing yourself can be an amazing thing but sometimes we push to the point of destruction. That is the one thing that needs to be avoided.

So for me, I am beginning slow and steady. My plan is to move for at least 15 minutes per day. I've been doing well most days and plan to stay the course. Here's what has happened this far:

New Years Day is when the new journey began! I've heard that how you start the year is how you will end the year. Well, this year started with speed work so we will see what the end is going to be. I started with a 800m warm up, followed by a 400m sprint, then 4x200m sprints, another 400m sprint, and a 800m cool down. It was a great run! It even wore my mini me out 🤣

I kept up my with promise to move daily and even joined a 4-week bootcamp called Camp Gladiator. As much as I love to sleep in in the mornings, I am registered for a 6:00am class. What was I thinking?!
Well, work travel caused me to miss two of the bootcamp days, but I am happy to let you know that I still got active. As much as I dislike treadmills, I did not use travel as my excuse not to move. Instead, I made sure that workout clothes were packed and I got the job done! Two days on the treadmill never hurt anyone, especially when your why is bigger than your excuses!

A part of my why is my family. Speaking of them, I am so passionate about physical activity that I plan two races each year for my entire family to run. We may not all run the same race distance or even complete the race side by side. However, we are able to share the experience, stories, and memories with each other. This year, we were registered for the Best Damn Race in Jacksonville. Unfortunately, one of our family team members, had a injury that prevented him from running. When one goes down, we are go down.

Well, almost. Four of the five races were deferred until 2020. The fifth one could not be transferred because the runner will not be available to run that race with us. She is graduating this May and going off to college 😢 Since I did not get rid of her entry by the deadline, I opted to run her 10k race. It was a win-win-win for me. 1 - It was shorter than the half marathon I was scheduled to run but not trained up for. 2 - I was going to be in Jacksonville, due to a late flight from New Orleans the night before, so I had a chance to run with my Black Girls Run sisters. 3 - I received my first medal for the 2019.
 


How is your January on the move going?

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose Over Pleasure

"I'm done!" Those were my thoughts multiple times during this weekend's half marathon. As I got further into the race, I told myself, I'm done! I am done with Zooma. I am done with long distance running. I am done with running race in temperatures above 70 degrees. I am DONE! At the start of the race, one of the first things I noticed was that the pacer's shirt read. Run Walk Run. I asked the pacer if that meant she would be doing intervals. Her response, " Yes, 2 minutes of running with 30 sec breaks at a 8:40 pace. " I was immediately intimidated but I figured I would give it a shot. I did not typically run intervals but these ladies had a tried and true method to get me to my goal time. So I tried it out. I was outside of my comfort zone but that is where growth starts, right?! I was running strong all the way through mile 9. Based on my mile time splits, I was inspired and moving right along the course. I was even smiling as I passed mile 5

Renewed Motivation

I love the start of a new month. It means that it is an opportunity for me to start over. It is a chance for me to set new goals. It is chance for me to reshape my plans. For May 2018, my running goal is 100k (yeah....that is 62.13 miles....I don't know the last time I ran that many miles in one month, so.....) Over the past few weeks, I have been thinking: "Why do I run?" ; "What is my goal?" ; "What is my motivation?" These questions are very personal and will differ for everyone. For me.... I run because it keeps me mentally sound. Most importantly, my runs are times that I commit to listening to sermons and uplifting music. I spend that time getting lost in my connection to my heavenly father.  My current goal is to complete the three (3), YES THREE, half marathons that I am registered for later this year. You see, I make plans well in advance because they give me something to shoot for and forces me to eliminate excuses. My motiv

Who has a watch?

Guess who's back 👀 It's time to eliminate the excuses and get ready to move! My introduction to my running journey was a race. I immediately set a goal for the amount of time I wanted to complete the race in. That's when my tracking began.  That was five years ago. To date, it is very rare for me to go out on a run without some way to track the run. I track my mileage and my speed. Honestly, I'm somewhat obsessive about it. I need to know how many miles I'm running AND I need to know how fast (or slow) I'm running. I use that information to challenge myself to go further and go faster. I have become so reliant on the tracking systems that I don't take a run without a device. I almost did not run this morning because I could not track it.   🤷‍♀️   But guess what?! I ran anyway. And I'm so glad I did. Today's lesson : Being active is not the same as being competitive. You do not have the have fancy gadgets and applications in order to get ou