Skip to main content

Who has a watch?

Guess who's back 👀

It's time to eliminate the excuses and get ready to move!

My introduction to my running journey was a race. I immediately set a goal for the amount of time I wanted to complete the race in. That's when my tracking began.  That was five years ago. To date, it is very rare for me to go out on a run without some way to track the run. I track my mileage and my speed. Honestly, I'm somewhat obsessive about it. I need to know how many miles I'm running AND I need to know how fast (or slow) I'm running. I use that information to challenge myself to go further and go faster.

I have become so reliant on the tracking systems that I don't take a run without a device. I almost did not run this morning because I could not track it.  ðŸ¤·‍♀️ But guess what?! I ran anyway. And I'm so glad I did.

Today's lesson:
Being active is not the same as being competitive. You do not have the have fancy gadgets and applications in order to get out and move. All you need is commitment to self....and a watch. Instead of tracking your distance and your pace, start out by tracking your time. Commit a set amount of time to walk or run or both. As you become consistent, add on more.

Add 5 minutes a day.

If you start off walking, move to intervals.

If you are doing intervals, try to run the entire time.

Walk, run, or do intervals on flat surfaces (like a track).

Challenge yourself to walk, run, or do intervals in an area where there are hills and/or bridges.

None of those tips require a tracking device and yet they all show progress that can be made with just a commitment to being active and consistency. Whether you take the journey alone, with family members or with friends, set out to enjoy it. Don't get caught up in overindulging yourself with stuff. Just enjoy the process!


We were out for 65 minutes today and I enjoyed every bit of our run/walk intervals on the trail. #TerrainRacePreparation

Want to start moving but need an event to work towards, join me at Zooma Women's Race Series in Amelia Island, October 19 or October 20 or both 😉. Use code RUNWITHME for a 10% discount.

Looking for a group to walk or run with? Send me a direct message on Facebook to receive information on Sunday meet-ups. We'll be starting in August. We'd love for you to join us!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose Over Pleasure

"I'm done!" Those were my thoughts multiple times during this weekend's half marathon. As I got further into the race, I told myself, I'm done! I am done with Zooma. I am done with long distance running. I am done with running race in temperatures above 70 degrees. I am DONE! At the start of the race, one of the first things I noticed was that the pacer's shirt read. Run Walk Run. I asked the pacer if that meant she would be doing intervals. Her response, " Yes, 2 minutes of running with 30 sec breaks at a 8:40 pace. " I was immediately intimidated but I figured I would give it a shot. I did not typically run intervals but these ladies had a tried and true method to get me to my goal time. So I tried it out. I was outside of my comfort zone but that is where growth starts, right?! I was running strong all the way through mile 9. Based on my mile time splits, I was inspired and moving right along the course. I was even smiling as I passed mile 5

Zooma Summer Challenge - Week 1

The week started off with a mid-distance run. I finished my run off with a 5 minute workout. It's such a short period of time and may sound wimpy, but let me tell you, it's pretty intense.  In fact, I don't even think I made it five whole minutes. The one thing that very much helped me this week was the start of my Zooma Summer Challenge. The Challenge is complete with meal planning tips, workouts, and motivation. The first exercise for the week was a 2 mile run. I had traveled to Miami on a 6am flight so I was not able to run in the morning and spent the day in meetings. I almost missed the day's workout but seeing all the Facebook posts encouraged me to get up and hit the treadmill...even at 10:30p. Make examples, not excuses. I knew that I could easily do 2 miles so I got up and got it done. No excuses! Running and Snapping pics can't be safe :/ The third exercise for the week was a track workout that included sprint intervals. Well, running

Getting The Mojo Back

On this past Saturday I had a chance to do my first Saturday endurance run with Black Girls Run Jacksonville. It was such as great experience. No woman was left alone and there were so many paces and levels of walkers and runners. The Ambassadors had so much energy that it was contagious. I had not run more than 40 minutes in a little over a month so I was nervous but it felt so good to be out there....with a group. I completed my 60-minute run and met my goal of 6 miles. Once the run was over, I was pumped. When I got home, I started looking at my Nike Run App and realized that I was only halfway to my goal of running 62.13 miles this month. Ut oh. I did some calculations and decided that I could meet my goal if I ran 3 miles per day for the next ten days. What's 30 minutes? It's nothing. We waste 30 minutes scrolling through Facebook.  The least I could do is to commit 30 minutes per day to ME.  (How much time to yo commit to yourself daily?) So the journey began.