Skip to main content

Change in Plans

So....the Nike Run App updates every Monday at 12:01a.m. You can imagine that, yes, I wait up every week to see what the next week will hold and whether they will update my training schedule.

Well, I looked at it last Sunday and noted that I would be running 4x1200m, 3x1200m, and a 6 mile run. I was ready for the week and quickly started to plan when I complete my runs throughout the week.

I missed Monday morning with Oliver and decided that I would get in one of the interval runs after I dropped Maddison off to the football game. I would run while she cheered. Since it starts to get dark early, I needed to be ready to hit the streets as soon as she go out of the car. So, while I was driving (don't judge my multi-tasking), I opened up my NRC app so that it would be set. As soon as I opened it, it asked it I wanted my plan updated based on my runs from the week before. Without thinking, I hit UPDATE.

Imagine my shock when I saw a 5.75 mile run, a 7x400m interval run, and a 6 mile run.  I was NOT a happy camper.

I decided to complete the sprints that night since it was all I have time to do before it got dark. I also quickly decided to run both of the other runs at the same time over the weekend to create my final long run before next week's Zooma Half Marathon Florida.
I shocked myself with my pace!

Baby, let me tell you. Those sprints felt SOOO good. They reminded me of a few weeks ago when I ran with Maddison. I struggled through these a few weeks ago but I crushed them on Tuesday.

Consistency creates progress and growth.

1. This night was a solo run. I typically run better, faster when I have someone running ahead of me. Running with others challenges me to push myself. Running with others forces me outside of my comfort zone. Quite frankly, running with others brings out my competitive spirit. Even if I lag behind, I work harder to make the gap smaller. Even with a solo run, I was able to show myself that running consistently has its benefits.

2.  The time change was on my side. There's a part of me that watches too much t.v. so I imagine all the bad things that can happen to me when running alone in the dark. I don't do it. I have, however, found one road that is pretty well lit. I will only run it alone during certain hours. Still before 9:00p.m. I started my run just as the sun was going down so I knew I needed to get the work done. I was reminded that the weather and other similar conditions can impact my speed.

Since Oliver was out of town this week, it was a challenge to find an hour to run while the sun was still up. That's a large part of why I decided to run the two other runs together. I'm not so sure it was a good idea, but I got it done. Well, mostly.
Pre-Run Smiles

Saturday was going to be a long day traveling over to Valdosta, GA, attending a full day program, then heading back home. That meant that a Sunday morning pre-church run was on deck.

I woke up just before 5:00a.m. There was no way I was going to run that early so I set my alarm for 6:00a.m. and went back to sleep. After I peeled myself out of the bed, I remembered that Quiara needed to get moving. I committed her to a race next month. She has lots of work to do. There's no better time than the present, right?!

We had our oatmeal, grabbed some running gear and got out. We started out together. I gave her a running plan and after a few miles, we went our separate ways.

When you prioritize a thing, you find time for that thing.

At the beginning of the week I didn't know how I was going to get the last two runs done. I set a plan but still wasn't sure it would happen. After all, I can be the queen of excuses.

1. Excuses are tools. We use them to avoid situations and activities. If you want something bad enough, you will eliminate excuses and transfer them into your why. Your why drives your activity. In other words, if you want something bad enough, you will find a way to make it happen.

2. Where there's a will, there's a way. It might not always be easy or convenient, but when you want something, there will usually be a way to make it happen. It may take longer then you expect. It may even look a differently than you expected. Nothing is impossible.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose Over Pleasure

"I'm done!" Those were my thoughts multiple times during this weekend's half marathon. As I got further into the race, I told myself, I'm done! I am done with Zooma. I am done with long distance running. I am done with running race in temperatures above 70 degrees. I am DONE! At the start of the race, one of the first things I noticed was that the pacer's shirt read. Run Walk Run. I asked the pacer if that meant she would be doing intervals. Her response, " Yes, 2 minutes of running with 30 sec breaks at a 8:40 pace. " I was immediately intimidated but I figured I would give it a shot. I did not typically run intervals but these ladies had a tried and true method to get me to my goal time. So I tried it out. I was outside of my comfort zone but that is where growth starts, right?! I was running strong all the way through mile 9. Based on my mile time splits, I was inspired and moving right along the course. I was even smiling as I passed mile 5

Zooma Summer Challenge - Week 1

The week started off with a mid-distance run. I finished my run off with a 5 minute workout. It's such a short period of time and may sound wimpy, but let me tell you, it's pretty intense.  In fact, I don't even think I made it five whole minutes. The one thing that very much helped me this week was the start of my Zooma Summer Challenge. The Challenge is complete with meal planning tips, workouts, and motivation. The first exercise for the week was a 2 mile run. I had traveled to Miami on a 6am flight so I was not able to run in the morning and spent the day in meetings. I almost missed the day's workout but seeing all the Facebook posts encouraged me to get up and hit the treadmill...even at 10:30p. Make examples, not excuses. I knew that I could easily do 2 miles so I got up and got it done. No excuses! Running and Snapping pics can't be safe :/ The third exercise for the week was a track workout that included sprint intervals. Well, running

ReGrouping

"When you fail to plan, you plan to fail." This is sometimes the case but not always the case. I am lucky enough to know how to ReGroup4Change .  I woke up last Sunday morning thinking I would be able to go for a long run. In my mind, a long run = 10 miles or more. It's a lot, but why not?! Last Sunday, I planned to go out on a long run, but I did not put anything in place the night before. By the time I woke up and got out the house, I was already 45 minutes behind schedule. That didn't include travel time to my running spot for the day. By the time I got there I knew that I would not get 10 miles done. When the plan changes, the plan changes.  I decided to set my run timer for 1 hour. I figured I'd get in how ever many miles I could within that timeframe. I set out to run with my wireless headphones but I was so anxious to get out there that I didn't sync them with my phone before I started my timer. The headphones were disconnected. I was already