Skip to main content

Roadblocks to Overcome

What an interesting week!

Can you believe we just completed week 5?! I can hardly believe it!
I had three scheduled runs on my Nike Run Club training program.

The first was a 5.25 mile recovery run. This was to be completed at an easy pace. Mondays are long days and always meet me with several after-work activities. On this particular day, there was a parent partnership meeting at one of my daughter's school. So while I thought I could get in a run once I picked her up, the joke was on me. Once we finally left the school, she wanted to stop at the store. I had slightly given up on the possibility of running because it was already 7:00p and the weather already started to change so it begins to get dark earlier.

At 7:30p, we finally got home and I decided to give the run a go. I changed my clothes as quickly as I could and I headed to my local running spot. I called my husband as I was driving to make sure he was okay with me running in the dark. He told me to go for it. I parked my car and started running right away. Every portion of a mile counted and I needed to get every portion I could before it got too dark.

I set out on course and within 20 minutes, my natural lighting was gone. I kept going because I was on a well lit street with major traffic. I figured that it was one of the safest places for me to be, even as a petite female all alone.

As I headed back towards my car, a black car pulled up beside me with a young girl yelling out the window. I quickly recognized my daughter's voice. That was great motivation to get me through the race. I told my husband the mileage that I still needed to cover and I assured him that I was okay. I thought the run would be miserable in the dark but I felt good with the lighting. Besides, the  of running alone at night sparked a pace in me that allowed me to get the mileage done in the least amount of time possible. I was on fire. It was a great relief to see my husband pull around the corner once again when I was .4 miles away from the finish. My car was parked in the midst of darkness but he followed me all the way there. Lighting my way and protecting me from harm.

This was the fastest middle to long distance run I've ran in a while. Boy, was I happy that I decided to get the work done!

Today's run reminded me to shift my 'excuses' into my 'reasons.'

The second was a 5x1000m sprint interval, if you can call 1000m a sprint. The Nike Run App still didn't give me a pace to challenge myself. All is said was "HARD" pace. I'm still not sure what that means but I was excited to get the work done. I was scheduled for 5 intervals. I figured it was just a 5k so how bad could it be.

My husband is also training for a Half Marathon. We are just on a different timetable. As he was preparing to go out for a 15 minute benchmark run, I knew it was a great opportunity for me to get out and get my intervals done.

Well....the first two 1000m intervals were pretty good. By the end of the second interval I noticed that the battery on my phone was at 14%. I immediately shut off the location finder and kept moving. As I made my way through the third interval, I heard something in the bushes. Since it was starting to get dark outside, I knew I needed to keep it moving. I may it through that interval and into the fourth. The next thing I knew, my phone's battery was on 5%. I was determined to finish so I kept moving. I was 250m into my fifth interval when my husband drove past to make sure I was safe. The next thing I knew, my phone was dead. My heart dropped. I was so close to the finish. Why couldn't I just be done.

I walked back to my husband's car pretty dejected. Luckily for me, my husband had a car charger adapter in his car for an Android phone, which is ironic since he has an iPhone. I explained the situation to him and just plugged my phone in. When I cut it back on, I realized that my Nike Run App was still running. It stated that I was 20+ minutes into my 5th interval. The timing was not helpful but it still gave me hope. I knew that if I could get a little more juice on my phone, I could finish the last interval. When we got to the grocery store to pick up the chicken, my husband went into the store and I went off on a 1000m run. All was going well. I was 900m+ into the run and headed back to the grocery store. When I looked to stop the tracking I found out that my phone was dead AGAIN.

After a little more juice, I cut the phone back on. A smile crossed my face when I saw 1006m logged. It didn't even matter that the timer was still running and clocked me at 18+ minutes. I was just excited that the total workout was completed and logged into the system.

Today's running reminded me to start what I complete. I know that my success is not in how I start but rather how I push through the process until I get to completion.

The third was an 8.00 mile run. I can happily say that I was hydrated this time around and did not have any signs of passing out. That in itself it a win! Woot woot! Now if you've been following this blog and my Zooma Half Marathon training journey you know none of my runs are drama free.

I dropped my oldest daughter off to her school and parked my car. I started my tracker and got to business. I was using the Nike Run App to track my miles. When I started the tracking, music automatically started playing but it wasn't what I wanted to listen to. Once I got myself situated and got into my groove, I attempted to stop the music in order to switch to YouTube. I had a long run on the horizon so it was my opportunity to listen to a  awe-inspiring sermon. I pulled up the app and noted thai was already 0.67 miles into the run. Great progress. I paused the music, found my sermon and went to work.

After 25 minutes, I paused the sermon and pulled up the Nike Run App. My eyes must have been playing tricks on me. It said 0.77 miles. Say whaaaaatttt? I almost panicked but had a quick decision to make.

A. Stop running, since my miles didn't track and I wouldn't get credit for all the work I had already done
OR
B. Keep going, since I had already planned a route and needed to complete the mileage whether it was recorded or not

Which would you have chosen?

I chose B.

Apparently, I paused the mileage tracker when I paused the music. This thing bothered me for much of the run. However, I am satisfied knowing that I put in the time and work needed to get me prepared for my upcoming race.

Today's run reminded me to stay the course regardless of what adversity comes my way.  

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose Over Pleasure

"I'm done!" Those were my thoughts multiple times during this weekend's half marathon. As I got further into the race, I told myself, I'm done! I am done with Zooma. I am done with long distance running. I am done with running race in temperatures above 70 degrees. I am DONE! At the start of the race, one of the first things I noticed was that the pacer's shirt read. Run Walk Run. I asked the pacer if that meant she would be doing intervals. Her response, " Yes, 2 minutes of running with 30 sec breaks at a 8:40 pace. " I was immediately intimidated but I figured I would give it a shot. I did not typically run intervals but these ladies had a tried and true method to get me to my goal time. So I tried it out. I was outside of my comfort zone but that is where growth starts, right?! I was running strong all the way through mile 9. Based on my mile time splits, I was inspired and moving right along the course. I was even smiling as I passed mile 5

Zooma Summer Challenge - Week 1

The week started off with a mid-distance run. I finished my run off with a 5 minute workout. It's such a short period of time and may sound wimpy, but let me tell you, it's pretty intense.  In fact, I don't even think I made it five whole minutes. The one thing that very much helped me this week was the start of my Zooma Summer Challenge. The Challenge is complete with meal planning tips, workouts, and motivation. The first exercise for the week was a 2 mile run. I had traveled to Miami on a 6am flight so I was not able to run in the morning and spent the day in meetings. I almost missed the day's workout but seeing all the Facebook posts encouraged me to get up and hit the treadmill...even at 10:30p. Make examples, not excuses. I knew that I could easily do 2 miles so I got up and got it done. No excuses! Running and Snapping pics can't be safe :/ The third exercise for the week was a track workout that included sprint intervals. Well, running

ReGrouping

"When you fail to plan, you plan to fail." This is sometimes the case but not always the case. I am lucky enough to know how to ReGroup4Change .  I woke up last Sunday morning thinking I would be able to go for a long run. In my mind, a long run = 10 miles or more. It's a lot, but why not?! Last Sunday, I planned to go out on a long run, but I did not put anything in place the night before. By the time I woke up and got out the house, I was already 45 minutes behind schedule. That didn't include travel time to my running spot for the day. By the time I got there I knew that I would not get 10 miles done. When the plan changes, the plan changes.  I decided to set my run timer for 1 hour. I figured I'd get in how ever many miles I could within that timeframe. I set out to run with my wireless headphones but I was so anxious to get out there that I didn't sync them with my phone before I started my timer. The headphones were disconnected. I was already