Skip to main content

Greatness

I LOVE my bed. Sleep is SOOO important to me. It is a HUGE sacrifice for me to wake up and start moving before 6:30a.m. Don't get me wrong, I've done it before so it's not that I can't do it. It's just not my preference. I prefer to sleep as LONG as possible.

Sacrifice is good every now and again. Last Monday I made the sacrifice. I got up and out. My Nike Run Club app set me up for another Hard Run. The order of the day was 8x1000m. I ran an 8k in August, so I knew how far it was. I was determined to get my (almost) 5 miles done. This run was special because my husband also had a 5 mile run scheduled so the timing was PERFECT.

I had a running partner and a chance to remember that my journey is not just about me. Sometimes, we experience things in life for the benefit of others. I ran my pace and it allowed my husband to run his fastest 5k EVER. There was no pressure. Just setting the example for someone else to follow. Be willing to share your journey with someone else. You never know who needs it

This week included a benchmark run. I've noticed that these happen every other week. The benefit of benchmark runs is that it provides an opportunity to assess progress. Often times, we go through the motions of life without much reflection. Without reflection, we can't grow. Reflection reveals your small wins. Your small wins will give you momentum to achieve your big goals.


This benchmark was 0.04 miles further than my best benchmark to date. Not much, right? Wrong! EVERY mile or portion of a mile counts. Don't underestimate yourself. Give yourself credit where credit it due!

The last run of the week was scheduled as a 9 mile run. But I had different plans. I was registered for the Zooma Cape Cod Half Marathon. I wanted to travel to Boston for the race but I had an appointment commitment in Florida so I regrouped and found an alternative. I registered to run virtually. That just means that I received all the race swag but I could run anywhere.

I am a part of a group of runners and athletes who work out pretty much daily. They were scheduled for a long run on Saturday so I signed up to go with them. Unfortunately, I overslept and didn't get out the house in time for their group run. I found another route and made magic happen. 13.1 miles done! No matter what distractions come, there's always a way to overcome. 





You were created for GREATNESS! Go be GREAT!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose Over Pleasure

"I'm done!" Those were my thoughts multiple times during this weekend's half marathon. As I got further into the race, I told myself, I'm done! I am done with Zooma. I am done with long distance running. I am done with running race in temperatures above 70 degrees. I am DONE! At the start of the race, one of the first things I noticed was that the pacer's shirt read. Run Walk Run. I asked the pacer if that meant she would be doing intervals. Her response, " Yes, 2 minutes of running with 30 sec breaks at a 8:40 pace. " I was immediately intimidated but I figured I would give it a shot. I did not typically run intervals but these ladies had a tried and true method to get me to my goal time. So I tried it out. I was outside of my comfort zone but that is where growth starts, right?! I was running strong all the way through mile 9. Based on my mile time splits, I was inspired and moving right along the course. I was even smiling as I passed mile 5

Zooma Summer Challenge - Week 1

The week started off with a mid-distance run. I finished my run off with a 5 minute workout. It's such a short period of time and may sound wimpy, but let me tell you, it's pretty intense.  In fact, I don't even think I made it five whole minutes. The one thing that very much helped me this week was the start of my Zooma Summer Challenge. The Challenge is complete with meal planning tips, workouts, and motivation. The first exercise for the week was a 2 mile run. I had traveled to Miami on a 6am flight so I was not able to run in the morning and spent the day in meetings. I almost missed the day's workout but seeing all the Facebook posts encouraged me to get up and hit the treadmill...even at 10:30p. Make examples, not excuses. I knew that I could easily do 2 miles so I got up and got it done. No excuses! Running and Snapping pics can't be safe :/ The third exercise for the week was a track workout that included sprint intervals. Well, running

ReGrouping

"When you fail to plan, you plan to fail." This is sometimes the case but not always the case. I am lucky enough to know how to ReGroup4Change .  I woke up last Sunday morning thinking I would be able to go for a long run. In my mind, a long run = 10 miles or more. It's a lot, but why not?! Last Sunday, I planned to go out on a long run, but I did not put anything in place the night before. By the time I woke up and got out the house, I was already 45 minutes behind schedule. That didn't include travel time to my running spot for the day. By the time I got there I knew that I would not get 10 miles done. When the plan changes, the plan changes.  I decided to set my run timer for 1 hour. I figured I'd get in how ever many miles I could within that timeframe. I set out to run with my wireless headphones but I was so anxious to get out there that I didn't sync them with my phone before I started my timer. The headphones were disconnected. I was already