Skip to main content

There's Always a Purpose

This is the week that brings this journey to a close.

Over the past couple of weeks, I used this blog to share my journey to the Zooma Florida Half Marathon. I had 13.1 miles of work to do and this blog was a way to help me stay accountable.

Running is my happy place. Learning to find joy in the little things will create opportunities for even better things.
Beautiful Evening Walk with the Hubby
Intervals
I had a few short runs on the Nike Run App. One was a sprint interval workout. I was scheduled to complete five 400m runs. There was a two-minute break between each run. I ran this same workout five weeks ago. The results excited me. I saw progress. Remember what I said last week...consistency is key! 


I was lucky enough not to have to complete the run alone. My mini me, Maddison, joined me on the track and completed my sprints with me. It's always good to run with Maddison because she sprints off ahead of me and gives me something to work for. Hard work never hurt anybody. It reminds me of the saying, "if you're the smartest person in the room, you need to change your circle." Well, if you're the fastest person in your running group, you need to change your group. Iron sharpens iron, so find you some iron.
I also had my teenager out there. I reminded her over the weekend that she is scheduled for a race on November 18 so I have been trying to get her body moving. Every little bit helps. The race will still be a challenge but her body won't go into a complete shock. She was sick but still got out there. You won't always feel like it but sometimes, you just have to get it done.

#NoExcuses
Benchmark
We've talked about benchmarks or check points several times during this journey. This week was a benchmark week. I decided that since it would likely be the last one, I would go back to location where I completed the second benchmark. The location was much different then the location where I ran the other two benchmarks. Those were nice and flat but this location had hills.

Sometimes, you'll notice that hills and valleys create for a challenging journeys. The highs and lows aren't always predictable. But in the end, once you get to the finish you are reassured that you made it and if you made it once, you can make it through again. Well, I decided that I needed to challenge myself and to go back to the hills and to defeat them.

I crushed them!


Race Day
It's over!

I love to wear fun outfits when I run half marathons. They make me happy and they give the people around me something interesting to focus on. Well, after I packed a variety of outfits, I settled on a SuperGirl theme. I'm so glad I did because I needed super powers to get me through.

I arrived at the start line seven minutes before the gun went off. I had to use the bathroom. I knew I had a two hour stint ahead of me so I needed to get it done before I peed myself on the course. By the time I got through the line and was done, I had 30 seconds before the start. Nothing was started on my phone. No music. No tracking. No motivation on the go app. No wireless headphones connected. No Garmin location set. I was a mess. The gun went off and I was still getting everything started and couldn't find my pacing group. Oh well, we were off and I needed to get moving. So I started moving.

By mile seven, I was ready to quit. I saw a bench and thought, "can I just sit here and have someone come back and pick me up?" Since I didn't know where I was I couldn't have had anyone come pick me up. All I knew is that I was somewhere inside a state park. Besides, I had two little people waiting for me at the end so I guess I had to show up there for them, right? 😔 Quitting is not an option!
A Finish Line Note from the Teenager
I kept moving along and just put one foot in front of the other. Less than ten minutes later, I heard a lady say "thank you for pacing me..." I couldn't believe it. At that moment, there was new meaning in my run. I wasn't running for me. I was out there, right where I was, so that I could help someone else get across that finish line. For the next five or so miles, we stayed close to each other and I brought her in, with cramps and all. We finished #100 and #101. WhooHoo!!
Cynthia - My Running Angel
This was the most mentally challenging race I've ever run but I'm so glad I did it. I finished! And finished strong! Read more about the impact that this race had on me.
I kilt the sand!!!
The Finish was the Best Part ☺
I'm still Half Twisted and will continue to run. To stay mentally and emotionally stable. To have committed time to myself. To have quiet time with God. To encourage, motivate, empower and inspire others.
13.1
Sunday Morning Post Race Recovery Run with my 💓💙💚💜💝

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Purpose Over Pleasure

"I'm done!" Those were my thoughts multiple times during this weekend's half marathon. As I got further into the race, I told myself, I'm done! I am done with Zooma. I am done with long distance running. I am done with running race in temperatures above 70 degrees. I am DONE! At the start of the race, one of the first things I noticed was that the pacer's shirt read. Run Walk Run. I asked the pacer if that meant she would be doing intervals. Her response, " Yes, 2 minutes of running with 30 sec breaks at a 8:40 pace. " I was immediately intimidated but I figured I would give it a shot. I did not typically run intervals but these ladies had a tried and true method to get me to my goal time. So I tried it out. I was outside of my comfort zone but that is where growth starts, right?! I was running strong all the way through mile 9. Based on my mile time splits, I was inspired and moving right along the course. I was even smiling as I passed mile 5

Zooma Summer Challenge - Week 1

The week started off with a mid-distance run. I finished my run off with a 5 minute workout. It's such a short period of time and may sound wimpy, but let me tell you, it's pretty intense.  In fact, I don't even think I made it five whole minutes. The one thing that very much helped me this week was the start of my Zooma Summer Challenge. The Challenge is complete with meal planning tips, workouts, and motivation. The first exercise for the week was a 2 mile run. I had traveled to Miami on a 6am flight so I was not able to run in the morning and spent the day in meetings. I almost missed the day's workout but seeing all the Facebook posts encouraged me to get up and hit the treadmill...even at 10:30p. Make examples, not excuses. I knew that I could easily do 2 miles so I got up and got it done. No excuses! Running and Snapping pics can't be safe :/ The third exercise for the week was a track workout that included sprint intervals. Well, running

ReGrouping

"When you fail to plan, you plan to fail." This is sometimes the case but not always the case. I am lucky enough to know how to ReGroup4Change .  I woke up last Sunday morning thinking I would be able to go for a long run. In my mind, a long run = 10 miles or more. It's a lot, but why not?! Last Sunday, I planned to go out on a long run, but I did not put anything in place the night before. By the time I woke up and got out the house, I was already 45 minutes behind schedule. That didn't include travel time to my running spot for the day. By the time I got there I knew that I would not get 10 miles done. When the plan changes, the plan changes.  I decided to set my run timer for 1 hour. I figured I'd get in how ever many miles I could within that timeframe. I set out to run with my wireless headphones but I was so anxious to get out there that I didn't sync them with my phone before I started my timer. The headphones were disconnected. I was already